Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Zombukis Love You - Atomic Holiday Bazaar Interview

Brigitte Coovert of Zombukis Love You is baaacccckkkk for her second season at Atomic's Sunday show on 12/13. Yay, the hell YAY! Zombukis Love You creations are fun and candy-fied, yet there is an inviting edge to her pieces. Look at her creations, ohhh, so sweet and tasty, confections of pinks and sugars yet a nice little zing that makes you open your eyes and take a second look! Brigitte's (and what a great first name) interview follows below:

Name of Business/Website Address? Zombukis Love You @ http://zombuki.etsy.com/

What City/State do you reside in? Palm Harbor, FL

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? Second year, holla!

What do make and plan on bringing to Atomic? Resin jewelry (necklaces, charms, rings), OOAK Kokeshi Art Dolls, customized Urban Vinyl figures, and swag featuring the Zombuki, which
are Pullip, Dal, and Blythe dolls that I've customized.


Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? I went full time DIY in August of this year! I'm crazy lucky to be able to follow my dream, make a living off my own work, and it makes every day a lot more fun! I'm also in graduate school so there's a lot of balancing that needs to be done, which is hard, but as long as I'm doing something "productive" I refuse to get down on myself for letting A or B slip for a few days.

If you have worked Atomic in prior years, what is one of your favorite memories from AHB?
Being seated next to a totally rad couple last year (my first year) who saved me by giving me about 30 $1 bills when I completely ran out (which happened almost right away). Love them! I met a lot of awesome people there and totally hooked my family in, now they do all their
holiday shopping there every year!

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? Love DIY! I started making zines when I was 6 years old so things that other people made themselves were always considered preferable in my household. Now, cough, a few years later, more than half of my closet and 99% of my jewelry box is full of DIY!
What's your favorite color? Turquoise :3 it's even the color of my hair!

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? I don't use a lot of found objects but I do use objects differently, like making resin jewelry out of candy, though sometimes I use items like dried flowers that have been reappropriated.

What inspires you? Most of my work is just color, exercises in color, so I'm inspired by just about everything, from a cereal box to a billboard to haute couture, anything that strikes me and makes me think, "That's a palette I *need* to play with." I also pull a ton of inspiration from
mythology and fairy tales, I love reinterpreting, warping, and making them my own.

What are your favorite bands? The Knife, Ruby, and Bjork are at the top of the list at the moment, though I'm not able to clean the house without either Madonna or Lady Gaga in my ears, lol. What is your favorite movie? Metropolitan by Whit Stilman <3>

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? My grandma and my dad were both hugely influential, but for what I do now I'm 100% self taught.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? Nope, but I am really ADD so I can only do something for about 2 hours and then I just have to stop and do something else, it's why my table is so so so very eclectic!

Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? Bjork, in a second, in a second. Call me!

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? The blue hair maybe, but I've gotten really used to it!

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? Las Vegas! Most hippocampus statues per capita.

No comments: