Wednesday, November 4, 2009

touché crochet - Atomic Holiday Bazaar Interview

Marah McCaleb of touché crochet will be at Atomic Holiday Bazaar on Sunday, 12/13/09 sharing a space with loretta gen. I am a Cloche hat fanatic, my Aunt Francena gave me one with sequins when I was a little girl, about the time when the movie Paper Moon came out. I thought I was the shit with that crocheted hat... Marah makes sweet headbands and other crocheted goodies...since I've never met her, we can all learn more about her with her interview below:

Name of Business/Website Address? touché crochet / http://touchecrochet.etsy.com/

What City/State do you reside in? St. Petersburg, Florirda

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? First time.

What do make and plan on bringing to Atomic? Crocheted items such as hats, ornaments, headbands, and other similar things. I also do a bit of sewing and will probably bring some aprons & such.

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? I wish that this was my full-time occupation! I also have a part-time job as an assistant at a recording studio & clean a couple houses. It's hard to balance the time. I go through surges of creativity and often make things in the evening, since it's pretty relaxing.

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? I love the whole process of making things -- that moment that an idea pops into my head, figuring out how to make it work, seeing the fruit of my hands. God is creative and has made us creative beings. Some create with food, others with words- I like to create with buttons, yarn, fabric. And I love to own things that have been handmade as well-- it's personal, it's full of love and often way more creative than what you'd see anywhere else.

What's your favorite color? Turquoise.

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? Yes, I like to use old buttons, vintage lace, fabric from the flea market or old clothes, sometimes even yarn from previous hats.

What inspires you? the sea/sealife, old photographs, fashion, the store anthropologie

What are your favorite bands? laura veirs, cat power, m.ward / she & him, simon & garfunkel, the decemberists, coldplay, sufjan stevens

What is your favorite movie? thoroughly modern millie

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? Two different friends showed me how to start crocheting and make a hat, everything else i've figured out on my own.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? Yes-- I'm kind of there currently, but trying to get some new ideas and inspiration.

Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? Laura Veirs or Zooey Deschanel (i am one of millions i'm sure).

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? I have a bizarre love for anything martian-related? It's only slightly a joke.

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? Boston.. the harbors, the cambridge/harvard area.. so much loveliness. same with princeton, nj. also israel.. seaside in scotland, areas of germany. i love the blend of nature and city life.

No comments: