Friday, November 6, 2009

Sutara - Atomic Holiday Bazaar Interview

Brenna Foster of Sutara and I keep running into each other at the post office. She usually has her back to me (she's a tall gal) while she is hammering things out on the auto-postage machine. I saw her yesterday and I have to say her son is adorable, loves to talk and he showed me his broken eraser on his pencil. She has also lived in Youngstown, Ohio and went to the music school there, somehow we both managed to escape to Sarasota. Now while I may have more of an 80s new wave punk rock vibe she has more of a granola vibe, however, I can completely appreciate the work she does with her sewing machine, brain and hands (not necessarily in that order, hardeeharhar). Her layered skirts are well made and peaceful, the color choices she uses to layer these skirts imply style and comfort but are completely feminine and lovely; she makes a ton of other items as well which you can find at the Sutara table at the Sunday, 12/13 Atomic show. Let's get to know her better by reading her interview below:

Name of Business/Website Address? Sutara / www.sutara.etsy.com

What City/State do you reside in? Sarasota, FL

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? Second time.

What do make and plan on bringing to Atomic? A variety of stuff... mainly specialize in applique-ing. :) Skirts, apron tops, kiddie wear, onesies/t-shirts, reusable cloth napkins and tote bags, banners, wall-hangings...

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? Although I'd love for it to be my full time occupation, it's not. I serve tables in the evening and spend my days with my 3 year old. Making my stuff is never a chore, I love to do it... so I work hard to find the free time I need/want to get it done.


If you have worked Atomic in prior years, what is one of your favorite memories from AHB? The fashion show! The AMAZING crafters/crafts that I saw last year... meeting awesome new people. It was a blast. :)

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? These days, it's hard to find anything original. You can go to three different stores and find the same exact thing, different prices. So it means everyone is importing the same junk... no diversity, no creativity, just mass production. When I buy something handmade, I know I'm getting something beautiful - something that was created with peaceful intention and love. It just feels better. :)

What's your favorite color? Probably something loud - red, maybe yellow? But I really love all colors.

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? I mainly try to work with organic materials, but I do "upcycle" from periodically... taking something apart to create something new.

What inspires you? The natural world.

What are your favorite bands? Yonder Mountain String Band, Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer, Avashai Cohen, Bob Marley, Toots and the Maytals

What is your favorite movie? Wow, I have a lot. The Usual Suspects?

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? Self taught... and still learning!

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? Definitely. And trying to create when you don't feel like it sucks!

Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? Not that I can think of.

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? We don't have TV in our house!?

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? Yes! I love the states... I've been from one side to another half a dozen times and it never gets old. I worked on an organic farm/community in New Mexico for a while and just loved it.

No comments: