Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Still Room Studio - Atomc Holiday Bazaar Interview

Jen Renninger of Still Room Studio will be at Atomic's Sunday 12/13 show. She recently contacted me which worked out perfectly because I was in need of a person willing to work a table split, not always an easy thing to finesse! Anyway, when I opened up Jen's email and saw her beautiful illustrations, it was a no brainer! I loved getting to know Jennifer better and you can too...Still Room Studio interview begins now:

Name of Business/Website Address? Jen Renninger Illustration - Still Room Studio, portfolio: http://www.jenrenninger.com/ / shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/pleasebestill

What City/State do you reside in? Tampa, FL


Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? This will be my first time attending and showing! How exciting is that? I can't wait.. It sounds like such a great event!

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Yes, I've been a freelance illustrator for about 10 years, working mostly for magazines and new papers.. Up until recently I considered it my day job and selling prints / artwork a hobby but I'm beginning to do more of that now.




How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? In all honesty I consider making stuff to be an integral part of my life. Even when I'm doing something not connected to making art part of me is always thinking about it and being impacted by the process.

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? I love that people put so much of themselves into what they make! I love the inventiveness that comes from the DIY community. I feel pretty honored to be a part of it!

What's your favorite color? Yeah, I don't know if I can choose. Lately I've had a brief love
affair with teal and aqua and bright snippets of red here and there. But it changes all the time.

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? Just about everything I make has something found or something old in it. I have a pretty large collection of ephemera to draw from.


What inspires you? This one is hard to pinpoint because I feel as if everything is inspirational in it's own way.

What are your favorite bands? Lately I've been listening to a lot of the Avett Brothers and a band called First Aid Kit from Sweden that I absolutely love.

What is your favorite movie? I have never been known to turn away from either the Shawshank Redemption or the Royal Tenenbaums. And I know this isn't a movie but I'm a big Northern exposure fan, and watch it on a regular basis.

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? All of the above! I was inspired by my uncle and my Mom as a little kid and then went to school for photography. I became an illustrator because I didn't want to run a commercial photo studio and didn't want to do fine art at the time. I just wanted to make pictures for magazines. With no real training in illustration I had to teach myself. So all in all a little bit of self taught / family inspired / college bound education!

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? Yes! My husband usually helps me out with that. I ask him for an assignment and always manages to give me something great to work on that pulls me out of the deep blue funk.


Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? I was listening to NPR recently during the pledge drive. Ira Glass
came on and gave a ten minute speech that started with" it didn't really matter if we donated or not " and somehow turned into " we are all in this together." I went home and mailed a "We are all connected" poster to him that day.. My other choice would be Neil deGrasse Tyson, 'cause he has the best brain around, well, maybe EO Wilson..

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? I love to sing but I have a voice that could break glass! Does that count for odd? I know some people definitely find it amusing (as long as they can find their earplugs!) ok, I asked my husband about this and he came up with a list! I cut my own hair. I'm picky about my pens. (he steals them!) I like my Mac + Cheese with water (it's an acquired taste!) Ironically he didn't mention the singing.. hmmm.

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? I get inspired by our little blue speck pretty easily, so my backyard or open window is enough to get me all happy about this place. That being said, I took a trip to Alaska once that really instilled a sense of awe. Everything seems more monumental there. And years ago I went to Hawaii and flew in a glider. I remember thinking that riding on the air felt an awful lot like surfing, and it surprised me. That still sticks with me: the sense that we are part of something that we don't completely understand, and there is beauty in that.

2 comments:

The Social Cellar said...

O!!! I cant wait to get something at the show from you! Huge fan!

The Social Cellar said...

Yay! Im so glad youre going to be at the show! I'll will defiantly be getting something from you there!