Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sew It's For You...another Atomic Holiday Bazaar Interview!!

Julie Marriott of Sew It's For You just had a baby boy (and he's cute as hell!) and guess what folks?! She is working both Atomic shows on Saturday 12/12 and Sunday 12/13. I can barely scoop poop out of the litterbox (but I do because I am civilized) but I can't imagine working a crazy craft show after having a young 'un (just wanted to sound a bit countryfied this morning). So to all you mama's and papa's I salute you. Ok back to the crafty world. Julie is a delight and embroiders a sweet dish of amusing images. Check out her interview below:

Name of Business/Website Address? Sew It's For You http://www.sewitsforyou.etsy.com/

What City/State do you reside in? Tarpon Springs, Florida

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? This is my 3rd time attending Atomic and the 2nd I have been in it.

What do make and plan on bringing to Atomic? I make all hand embroidered items. This year I am planning on bringing all sorts of cheeky items to appeal to a variety of folks. There will be some "adult" pieces and loads of great gifts for the holidays. I will also be filling custom orders.

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? If I was able to make stuff all day I would be much calmer. Unfortunately I do have a full-time job and I am a new mommy as of September. I haven't found much time to make things recently but I usually was able to creat at night.

If you have worked Atomic in prior years, what is one of your favorite memories from AHB? Oh I loved the fashion show last year and the mix of all the artists. We had a great time!

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? DIY means that I have the ability to create something that I can utilize and have the ability to be creative at the same time. The best of form and function. I am able to create personalized items to give to my friends and family while being able to feel like I have accomplished a meaningful gift.


What's your favorite color? Silver is my favorite color.

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? I recycle all of the time. I shop vintage and thrift stores to find interesting mediums to embroider on and often embellish items I own already. I take apart old items I have that I would donate and creat new items from them as well.

What inspires you? My friends and family inspire me. My friend Pam is amazing at embroidery, Jenny Hart, Adrien, Tara Mcpherson, Mitch O'Connell, Keith Haring.

What are your favorite bands? Depeche Mode, Yaz, The Editors, U2, The Killers, The Smiths, The Cure, Kings of Leon..too many to mention.

What is your favorite movie? Since I was a kid it was Grease, but newer movies Million Dollar Baby, Crash, Muriels Wedding, Juno

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? I taught myself how to embroider by reading a instruction sheet from a Sublime Stitching pattern sheet.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? Yes I have in the past now I am just trying to have the energy to make stuff.

Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? Johnny Depp, Jenny Hart, Mitch O'Connell

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? I call these my bar tricks I can tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tongue, make a straw sound like a slide whistle and can't stand the foam on hangers ( or off but the foam is terrible).

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? San Fran made me feel so great. I love it there!!

1 comment:

sewitsforyou said...

you are the best sister. Kisses from me and Sammy!!