Friday, November 6, 2009

Red Marionette Interview for Atomic Holiday Bazaar 2009

Kelli Williams of Red Marionette is appearing at Atomic's Sunday show on 12/13/09. Look for the booth of exploding felted creatures in every color under the rainbow. I sort of have a feeling that these creatures take on a life of their own when Kelli is sleeping because this chick's output is huge! The felted animals must be cutting and sorting felt while Kelli is snoring (not that I know if she snores) and maybe paying her bills and folding her laundry. I think all of us could use some of her creations in our house which are delightful, cheerful, uplifting and truly zany.
I just visited Kelli's website (again) and almost fell over in love with her holiday wreath (pic shown below). When she applied to Atomic this year I was concerned about giving her a booth (it's about a three table sized space) because I wasn't sure how she was going to fill it...duh, this girl works her butt off making the world a more colorful felted planet! Get to know Kelli a bit better by reading her interview below and she's coming to Atomic soon!
Name of Business/Website Address? Red Marionette / www.redmarionette.com
What City/State do you reside in? Orlando, FL
Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? I attended last year and it was amazing!

What do make and plan on bringing to Atomic? Pocket Monsters, Finger puppets, Brooches, Tree Skirts, Ornaments, Stockings, Tote Bags and Clutch purses to name a bit.

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? I do have a day job teaching art at a local Computer Animation school. I hope to turn Red Marionette into a full time gig someday. It takes a lot of proper planning to do both at the same time! Good time management skills are a must!

If you have worked Atomic in prior years, what is one of your favorite memories from AHB? The professionalism that Adrien achieves and the correct demographic. Whatever that lady is doing to make this show she is doing it great! Last year was wonderful!

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? To me, Do it yourself means that you rely more on yourself for items that we all readily purchase now. If you cant make it or do it, your neighbor down the street can. It makes me think of the times when it was more personal to interact on a consumer level. Also the theory of Make do and mend. Use skills most people dont have anymore to enrich our lives.

What's your favorite color? Blue

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? I try to use and incorporate vintage and gently used fabrics in some of my creations. They have so much more personality than brand new fabrics.

What inspires you? Vintage items. Life and Children. I love watching how people react to color combinations, stories and shapes.

What are your favorite bands? Regina Spektor is a favorite right now. I love classic jazz and 80's music.

What is your favorite movie? Labyrinth. It was what inspired me when I was young.

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? My mother taught me how to sew when I was young but it was hidden away for many years until I picked it up again in hand stitching, It has blossomed.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? I have more ideas than I have time. That is my speed bump. I get overwhelmed at the lack of progress due to the inundation of so many ideas!

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? I can cross each eye individually. :)

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? I recently when up north into northern Wisconsin to visit a family members cabin out in the middle of nowhere. No electricity. Just a generator. It was humbling and amazing at the same time. The fact we used to thrive in an environment like that amazes me. It was untouched, beautiful and pure. So rare anymore to find places like that.

1 comment:

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

great interview! SUch wonderful works!