Monday, November 23, 2009

Our Lady of Perpetual Pickles - Atomic Holiday Bazaar Interview

Ms. Griffin of Our Lady of Perpetual Pickles is pure Atomic Alumni. She's been with me every year and has made me a complete and utter addict of her "Sweet Heat" sliced pickles that are to f'in die for. TO DIE FOR, ya hear me? I love "Jess the Mess" (hey she called it, not me!) and not only is she an amazing canner but she whips up some funky fun crafty stuff. Jess is amusing, sweet, enthusiastic and a complete gem and I wouldn't want to have an Atomic without this gal. Our Lady of Perpetual Pickles interview follows below:

Name of Business/Website Address? Our Lady of Perpetual Pickles / www.perpetualpickles.etsy.com

What City/State do you reside in? Seminole, FL

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? I will be struttin my wears for the 4th year in a row!! I LOVE this show!
What do you make and plan on bringing to Atomic? Can you guess?? I don’t want to give it away, but I make PICKLES, or anything else delicious that can be put in a mason jar! I also make fun and funky stuff from vinyl albums including purses and jewelry. Past that I dabble in all kinds of craft projects that look like fun. I love turning something normal or plain into something fun and unexpected! Stop by my table. I always have free samples, and you never know what else I might have.

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? I wish I could work in my kitchen full time! Alas, I work full time and I work in a cube farm. I have to make the cheddar to feed the craft addiction. I normally craft in my off hours, but I do try to squeeze in some crafting during my lunch breaks. I’m working on being a parent, and I sing and ring bells in my church choirs.

If you have worked Atomic in prior years, what is one of your favorite memories from AHB?
I always remember the vendors! I love catching up with people I know, and meeting the new vendors and seeing their wares. I also love the music selections during the fashion shows. I’m still steadily listening to “Pot Kettle Black” from last year. I also remember that the show always seems to go by so fast, so I am glad it is two days this year!

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? I love making things with my own two hands! It feels like you are passing on a little piece of yourself with every project you work on. I also love knowing that something I made might have brightened someone’s day. I love creativity and feel like it is a very intimate part of who we are that can be shared with everyone.

YUM THE 'F YUM!! (Adrien's two cents)


What's your favorite color? I don’t have one. I love blues and purples, especially aqua, teal, cobalt, eggplant, and a bright violet!

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? I use old vinyl albums in many of my creations as well as the cover art. I typically use ones that are already scratched or banged up, and can’t be listened to anymore.

What inspires you? Music! For me music is everything! It sets our moods, gives us escape, and it connects us all to the past, present, and future!


What are your favorite bands? DMB, BNL, Gaelic Storm, Any band playing back up for Tori Amos!, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Vampire Weekend, Blues Traveler, Reverend Horton Heat, Reel Big Fish, Save Ferris, Talking Heads, Peter Paul & Mary, Heuey Lewis and the News…these are just the bands…solo acts are a whole other beast!

What is your favorite movie? I have so many, but the hands down favorite is Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russell is my hands down favorite! I also love Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Steel Magnolias, The Big Lebowski, Practical Magic, A Christmas Story, and It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. I can watch them anytime over and over again!

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? I learned an awful lot of crafty stuff from my mom. I have also taken many art and sewing classes for many summers as a child. However, everything I make now I taught myself how to make.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? I hit creative blocks where I will forget how to make something mid making it (even though I have made it many times over), or something I am working on doesn’t turn out the same as the last time I made it. It always happens! That is when I know it is time to put the glue gun down and go to bed! I also have spells where I can’t wrap my mind around how to make something. I can see the raw materials, and the finished product, but not all the steps in between.

Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? I want to make anything I can for Tori Amos, and would love to send her some of my Sweet Heat Pickles. I just know she would love them, and share them with the girls! I also really want to send some pickles to Paula Deen because she really is an inspiration to my cooking! Those ladies are the coolest people in world to me!

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? I love vintage finds, but I have a very odd phobia about used and/or antique furniture. I am now also terrified of riding on big busses or in rv campers. I just keep thinking they are going to fall over. I used to love being on them in school when going on trips. I can also do this funky muscle control thing with my neck. Yeah…I’m odd.

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? Ireland! As soon as my feet hit the ground I felt like I had finally made it home!

No comments: