Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Lorna Ruth - Atomic Holiday Bazaar Interview

I had the pleasure of meeting the wonderful Lorna Galloway of Lorna Ruth at the Delray Stitch Rock indie craft show this past October. As I'm sure some of you may have noticed (all seven of my readers) I like the dark stuff. I like the things that make the hair on my skin stand up and take notice. Lorna must too because her photography and perfectly edited images make me wake up and calm me at the same time. Is there a word for that? Damn, it alludes. Lorna will be at the Saturday night Atomic Holiday Show on 12/12/09. Her images are the perfect compliment to the upcoming dark hearted evening craft show. Get to know her by reading her interview below:

Name of Business/Website Address? Lorna Ruth / http://lornaruth.etsy.com

What City/State do you reside in? West Palm Beach, Florida

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? This will be my first time ever participating in Atomic both as a vendor and as a shopper!


What do you make and plan on bringing to Atomic? Lately I’ve really been focusing on experimental photographic techniques and shooting a lot of old signage so I’ll have all sorts of Polaroid transfers and hopefully some fun simple resin pieces.

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? Ahhh I wish making stuff was my full time occupation! Currently I’m a student at Florida Atlantic University attempting to get a BFA in Printmaking. I work two jobs (at an Art Supply Store and Community College) to be able to afford it. I think having creative friends and
family that support and encourage me is what really keeps everything as close to balanced as possible.

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? Unfortunately I think self sufficiency has gone by the wayside and “D-I-Y” helps remind and show hopefully everyone, not just other crafters, that traditional manual skills are not completely lost and that there are people out there still willing to teach others really unique things. Since making something takes time and labor and one’s own creative contributions, the end result is even more significant. Aside from all that there’s the knowing who your toys or piece of jewelry or dogs treats came from and knowing what they’re made out of. And then there’s the whole idea that creating really helps bring together communities and build strong relationships. But I digress!

What's your favorite color? I can’t pick one single favorite anything, let alone color!

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? In my photography, I’d consider any object used to be found. Especially with things like motel signs, it always feels more like a right place, right time kind of moment.

What inspires you? Seeing what other people make and being part of their creative process
really helps get me motivated. It helps tremendously to have people you can bounce ideas back and forth with and20really work with together on that sort of level.

What are your favorite bands? Sorry, Duane, THE BEATLES! of course. And at the moment The Blue Stingrays, Neko Case, I could go one forever with this one, too.

What is your favorite movie? Ahhh back to trying to pick one favorite! Right now it has to be “The Lives of Others.” Subtitled, watch out!

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? All of the above! And I don’t think you ever stop learning.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? Indeed I do get burnt out on creating. I think everyone does, like its part of the process. It’s always hard when you start putting yourself out there and selling your work you start to create with others in mind and that’s what really gets me jammed up. When this happens to me personally, it’s important to remind myself why I do it and really just the time to make something for myself, whether it’s printing or sewing or baking, usually helps.

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? Haha. There are way too many oddities over here, not sure there’s any amusing. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to meeting everyone at
Atomic!

No comments: