Saturday, November 21, 2009

Evil Needles - Atomic Holiday Bazaar Interview

Patricia Valery of Evil Needles will be at both Atomic shows, Saturday Night, 12/12 and Sunday 12/13! Her handmade clothing jumped out at me on Etsy along with her business name and happily she agreed to give Atomic a go. Upon reading her bio on Etsy, holy shit, this gal "occasionally makes clothing for The Dresden Dolls, Reverend Horton Heat and Hank III." If you want to check out the stuff she has made for The Dresden Dolls and Amanda Palmer you can check it here: www.postwartrade.com. Evil Needles interview follows below...

Name of Business/Website Address? evilneedles, http://evilneedles.com/

What City/State do you reside in?Orlando, FL

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? This is my first time.

What do make and plan on bringing to Atomic? I make clothing, but I also plan on bringing a few handmade purses, bags, boxes, and trinkets.

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? Making clothing is my only job. I've been doing this full time since 2004. There is no balance to my life, it's all work and no play.



Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? DIY is cool, but it has a double meaning. On the one hand it's a lifestyle, and on the other hand it's aesthetic. I really respect the whole DIY lifestyle, which works out great for me because it's more of a necessity than a passion. I'm obsessive about my business and just can't seem to hand any of the chores over so I end up doing everything myself. Aesthetically I do everything I can to make my clothing look nothing like DIY. When someone picks up one of my pieces at a boutique the last thing I want them to think is, "this looks handmade."


What's your favorite color?You know that orange-ish brown on top of German Shepherds' heads, that's my favorite color.

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? We recycle everything. My boyfriend is a recycling Nazi. However, most of my clothes are made from totally new materials, but the other (non-clothing) stuff I make uses recycled materials.

What inspires you? I'm most inspired by the things I don't have and the places I haven't been. This depravity is motivating. When it hits 2:00AM and I start seeing Twitter posts from people who've been out partying I get inspired. It pushes me to think about something I want from life and it inspires me to work a couple more hours before calling it a night. Some of my best designs have come about in the wee hours of the morning.

What are your favorite bands? Right now I'm on a quirky lo-fi, fuzztone, garage rock kick. I've been listening to this band from AU called Eddy Current Suppression Ring. I've also been listening to the Mummies, the Hexxers, the Headcoats and stuff like that.

What is your favorite movie? I don't really have a favorite movie, but I am obsessively following a couple of TV shows: Lost, Dexter, True Blood, to name a few.

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? I went to school, but I consider myself self-taught: trial and error, that's the way to go.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? I used to make band tees and that sucked the life out of me. Now that I'm making my own line I feel rejuvenated.

Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? Susie Essman: the chick who plays Susie Green on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? I am so generic there just aren't words to describe it.

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? Canada, they run a tight ship up there.

No comments: