Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Colin Panetta - Atomic Holiday Bazaar Interview

I met Colin Panetta via Craigslist when I was trolling for an Atomic artist last year to create the handout that everyone gets when they enter the auditorium. Not only was his email actually readable and polite but the links to his artwork knocked my socks off. Colin is a talented illustrator, comic book writer, community volunteer, has impeccable taste in music and he looks like a blond version of my father circa the beatnik era...if I were running the planet, he'd be a part of my faux administration fo' sho. Below is a little tiny sample of the poster he has created for Atomic this year. Again, this knocked my socks off, to be immortalized in ink is about the coolest damn thing ever! This poster will be handed out at the Atomic show so you can thank Colin for this wonderful Atomic addition!


Name of Business/Website Address? Colin Panetta / Illustrator/Designer/King of Spiders /
www.ColinPanetta.com (out of date, soon to be revamped) / And you can read my weird haunted science-fiction comic for free at DeadManHoliday.com

What City/State do you reside in? Right here in Sarasota Florida, for at least another couple of months.

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done something with the show before? I've been at least once, I think twice. Three Atomic Holidays ago Tom Hall, Programmer for the Sarasota Film Festival came back from it with a bunch of cool stuff, and I felt like I had missed out. So I made sure to go the next year!

How'd you get roped into creating the hand out for Atomic? Haha, it's the other way around actually; I pretty much told Atomic Holiday I was making it, without being asked. Adrien and I met on Craigslist a year ago (which is exactly what it sounds like) and she told me about her Attack of the 50 Foot Woman Vs. The Sarasota Municipal Auditorium idea. I kept the idea in back of my head all year, forgot it was Adrien's, and then proposed the idea to her as if it was my own creation. -- ADRIEN INTERJECTS - COLIN, LET'S JUST CALL IT A BEAUTIFUL BLEND OF CREATIVE UNION!

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? I have a full time graphic design job right now, but I support myself with freelance work when I can. I'm only a parent to Gordon Greenspan, the adorable Shih Tzu that I share with my girlfriend. Since I have a full-time job right now I've pretty much been full-time ignoring them to keep up with my illustration and comic book work after clocking out at the job. But I've got a pretty chill next couple of months laid out.

What's your favorite color? Black and white. Colors terrify me.

What inspires you? Uplifting people. Usually with monsters.

What are your favorite bands? Raw rock bands like Quintron, The Reigning Sound, The King Kahn & BBQ Show and The Dirtbombs are my bread and butter. But I listen to lots of other stuff too. I like Girl Talk a lot, rapper Kool Kieth is great, I really like the jazz band The Lounge Lizards and ambient composition stuff like Philip Glass, John Zorn or Arvo Part can really get me going too.

What is your favorite movie? Maybe Walker, by Alex Cox? It's an intense portrait of William Walker, the genocidal, white president of Nicaragua in the mid-eighteen hundreds sent to keep an eye on the Panama Canal and "spread democracy". It's also a slapstick comedy. From the director of Repo Man! I write Little Movie Review for the941, so you can see a lot my favorite stuff there.

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? I learned from a lot of people over the years, but I kind of consider myself to be self taught. I went to school for graphic design, and took some traditional art classes there, but I think I've learned more about drawing from music, movies and listening to people talk about stuff than from any formal class.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? Yeah, all the time. But no matter how sick I am of drawing or what I'd rather be doing, it usually passes after about an hour of making myself draw, and I start really enjoying it again.

Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? Haha, well, I don't think I'd want to force my work on anyone. But my heroes are mostly comic book artists; Jamie Hernandez, Jeff Smith, Mike Allred, Mike Mignola, Bob Burden, Paul Pope, Brendan McCarthy. I guess if I saw Guillermo del Toro or Bong Joon-ho walking down the street I'd shove one of my comics down the back of their shirts and run away.

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? My proudest achievement is tricking my babysitter into letting me eat grape jelly with a spoon, straight from the jar for dinner when I was seven. I also used to eat onions like apples.

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? Elba Island, Italy. Holy crap.

1 comment:

Zu-Li Designs said...

Very cool poster!! Love it!