Monday, November 23, 2009

birds and planes - Atomic Holiday Bazaar Interview


Kimberly Klabel of birds and planes rocks my Atomic world. Ya know why? Do you even care? Well shuddup and read why she is so fabulous. Kimberly contacted me out of the blue last year and volunteered to handout the program at the show. We'd never met, so I was hopeful yet dubious...sorry it's my nature. She was showed up, was so damn sweet and wonderful and I just fell in love. This is one hell of a sweet gal and I dig her taste, so look for her at the Sunday show on 12/13, she is sharing a table with Jenna Dickes Deleo. Get to know KK better below with her AHB interview:


Name of Business/Website Address? birds and planes. www.birdsandplanes.etsy.com http://www.birdsandplanes.blogspot.com/


What City/State do you reside in? Sarasota, Florida

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? I have been to the show almost every year but this is my first time as a vendor!

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? birds and planes is a long running side project. I am not a parent but a very proud aunt. I travel for work so I am in a different city/state every week. I bring projects with me on the road and go to estate sales to hunt for treasures.


If you have worked Atomic in prior years, what is one of your favorite memories from AHB? I was a volunteer last year and the fashion show was out of this world! The concept was fantastic and they did a great job executing it.

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? I love the little things. I think things have become so routine and robotic in the retail industry. Most stores today look like a warehouse full of stuff made in factories by machines or children. There is minimal merchandising, rude staff and no charm. You walk in and no one speaks a word to you until they tell you what your total comes to and then they put your purchase into a generic plastic bag. I don’t want my money funding an operation like that. To me D-I-Y is the opposite of that. Items made with love and passion, fueling someone’s dream.

What's your favorite color? Blues, greens and browns.



Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? All my pieces are vintage. I try to incorporate recycled things in some of my handmade pieces as well.

What inspires you? Old movies, romance, tragedy, music, sassy old ladies.

What are your favorite bands? Kevin Devine, The Format, Reubens Accomplice, Dianna Ross and the Supremes, Patti Paige. Basically a mish mash of indie artists and doo wop.

What is your favorite movie? An American in Paris, Singin’ in the Rain and Teen Witch.

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? I studied fashion design in school. Every woman in my family was a seamstress or a crafter and my father can make anything out of anything so I was always in a creative environment.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? Rarely. If work and things get to stressful, I tend to take a time out.

Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? Jenny Lewis. She is just the coolest. Her style, her music. Everything.

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? I have hyperacusis, which is a basically over-sensitivity to many sounds. I hear everything. It is one of my super powers.

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth?
Paris, France. I know it is a bit cliché, but it really changed my life. The world and everything in it just made sense when I was there. I also love going to super small towns for work. I love areas that still have a ‘mom and pop charm’ about them.

1 comment:

Valerie Valentine said...

Can't wait to see the birds & planes setup @ AHB! I'm so proud of you Queen!!!