Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sara Leigh Handbags - Atomic Holiday Bazaar Interview

Sara Johnson of Sara Leigh Handbags is Atomic Holiday Bazaar alumni. Sara is a delicious as her bags and creations which I recently saw at the Stitch show in Delray Beach. She had some gnomes and mushroom felted creations that I hope she will be selling at Atomic! Sara will be at Atomic's Saturday night and Sunday day show. Sara Leigh Handbags are durable, sewn well and pure girly delight. Sara's interview may be read right now:


Name of Business/Website Address? Sara Leigh Handbags. www.saraleighhandbags.com
and www.stitchofwhimsy.etsy.com.

What City/State do you reside in? Stuart (Stu-ville as I like to call it), Florida

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? This will be my 4th year (wow how time flies !!!)

What do make and plan on bringing to Atomic? I sew and create anything and everything I feel like but I specialize in handbags and forest inspired plush creatures.

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? I wish this was full time! I have a part-time job and no kids. Making things is something I've been balancing into my day to day life since I was a kid, I just cant help myself!

If you have worked Atomic in prior years, what is one of your favorite memories from AHB? I love when I see my bags / accessories from years passed show up again with their new person. Creating something that someone else loves as much or more than me is what its all about for me!

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? I am CRAZY passionate about D-I-Y! For me everything you wear/purchase is a reflection of your personality and mass produced, factory made generic is not my style!

What's your favorite color? The rainbow, it always depends on my mood and season.

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? Always love to create something new out of something old.

What inspires you? Nature, the stars and the people and things I love the most. Lots & lots of music.

What are your favorite bands? There are soooo many, lately im very into Miss Li, The bird and the bee, Arcade Fire, Beirut and the list goes on & on & on & onnnn.......

What is your favorite movie? Amelie

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? Self taught.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block?
Of Course. Every now and then I hit a block but always try my hardest to reignite that spark with music, travel and art. When life gets rough I imagine its hard to make it all work for everyone creatively but the only thing that really gets me through the block is to find that spark again, however, I have to.

Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? Zooey Deschanel- LOVE her ! 500 days of Summer would have to be my new 2nd favorite movie and she has a great little band happening too.

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? Sometimes I think I have more oddities than any of you would like to know! Trust me on this one, I live in a crazy world in my mind created by me :)

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? Atomic Holiday Bazaar , Stitch Rock and all the other moments of each year I get to meet the people most like me with an appreciation for the unusual and one-of-a-kind. This is true.

No comments: