Sunday, October 11, 2009

Pickeled Eggplant Interview for Atomic Holiday Bazaar

Pickled Eggplant by Nicole Gugliotti is appearing at the Sunday, 12/13 Atomic show. Nicole's medium is ceramics and I love the shapes of her sculptures. Organic, yes. Unusual, oh for sure. However, there is such a clean aesthetic to her designs yet they are not sterile. Quite simply, I really, really love the abstract images she is firing up for us. I am thrilled to have her participate in Atomic and I'm really curious to see what she creates in the future. You may get to know her by reading her interview.



Name of Business/Website Address? pickled eggplant / www.pickledeggplant.wordpress.com

What City/State do you reside in? St. Petersburg, FL

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? First time vending, second time attending.

What do make and plan on bringing to Atomic: I hand build porcelain into organic sculptures and wall pieces. At Atomic a selection of my wall pieces and other small works (sculptures, monsters, rattles) will be available.


Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? I have a day job working in a medical clinic. In the last year I've been able to transition into more of a balance with art and day job. This is really awesome but at the same time I feel like art making takes all of my spare time. In the next year I'd like to make the leap to full time art making so I can have a day off.

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? Well, basically I was raised by the ubiquitous Italian immigrant parents, who instilled in me the desire to know how to do things. They ran bakeries when I was growing up so processed food was kind of unheard of. They made bread, birthday cake, pastries. I always knew what exactly went into the making. They also rarely called upon repair persons or mechanics, opting to do it themselves. I think growing up in these conditions just made me a "do" kind of person.


What's your favorite color? Blue, gray, black.

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? I am currently using recycled cardboard for my business cards. I use crushed shells and soil in my installation work (which often gets recycled into gardens or friends landscaping projects after the fact). I also collaborated on a life size gas station installation (with gas pump and hummer) made completely out of recycled cardboard stolen from wal-mart.

What inspires you? The short answer to that is nature. The long answer is that I am inspired by things in nature that both attract and repel. The broken open seed pods you find on the ground and take home with you, accounts of tape worms growing so long that they protrude from the host's anus or the Surinam toad who's eggs are embedded on her back during mating so that tadpoles eventually have to push themselves out. I love that stuff. I love researching and traveling and then binding all these bits of information and textures and images together into something the viewer can have a little attracted/repelled experience with, even if they don't have all the information.

What are your favorite bands? Old school riot grrrl bands, le tigre, sinead o'connor, 90's pop and rock ballads.

What is your favorite movie? 10 things I hate about you

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? Mentally I learned about making from my family. I also have a B.F.A. in Ceramics.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? On the one hand I'm not making art full time yet so it seems like there are so many ideas that never get made. At the same time there are moments when my brain is done and it needs a break.

Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? Kathleen Hanna or Jason Briggs

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? I have no sense of smell (seriously) and no middle name.

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? Well, Japan, for so many reasons...