Monday, October 26, 2009

humblebumbleb - Hat Maker Extraordinairre for Atomic Holiday Bazaar

Brenda Burton finally has a name. Let me explain. She and her husband have attended Atomic, they were always "that cute couple" who dressed well, looked madly in love and just left that kind of impression on me. All that with the whirlwind of Atomic going on, so yep, they were that memorable and she always had on a fabulous felt hat on and a smile. Then last year "that cute couple" showed up at Atomic with not one baby, but two. Twin baby girls, beautiful, identical. Memorable. I guess that's what happens when you are "that cute couple" you create something genetically wonderful and unique. Finally, attending the Stitch Rock show this year, who do I see, but Brenda, her husband and the twins, we had emailed because I had her biz card and begged her to do Atomic and thankfully she agreed. But now I know who she is and simply, Brenda is as fabulous and colorful as her beautiful and affordable hats. Brenda's interview is below:

Name of Business/Website Address? humblebumbleb / http://www.humblebumbleb.com/

What City/State do you reside in? West Palm Beach, FL

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? I have attended as a customer the past two years, but this is my first time attending as a vendor.

What do make and plan on bringing to Atomic? I make retro and vintage inspired hats (Pill Box Hats, Fascinators, Flight Caps, Cloche Hats)

Is making stuff your full time ocupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? I am a full time mommy. All my crafting is done once the babies are asleep and the house work is somewhat taken care of.

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? I've always been a DIYer. My mom always had a project going to keep my sister and I busy. The process is more exciting to me than the final product (which is pretty awesome as well) but the act of creating something makes me happy.

What's your favorite color? Yellow (Mustard Yellow to be exact)

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? The majority of my hats are made of ecospun felt which is 100 percent recycled plastic bottles. I use a lot of vintage and thrifted embellishments as well. I try to do my part.

What inspires you? I am inspired by fashion from past decades. I love the 20's 40's 50's and 60's. I mix classic vintage styles with new materials and techniques.

What are your favorite bands? All time fave is the Beatles. I'm really in to Rockabilly groups with female vocals like Kim Lenz, and we can't forget about the great Johnny Cash!!!

What is your favorite movie? Huge Star Wars fan, right here. And I'm a sucker for The Notebook.

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? As mentioned before, my mom taught me how to be creative. A also attended FAU and received my Bachelors of Fine Arts in Ceramics.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? Can't say that I have. I like to dabble in a lot of different types of crafts so I don't get bored on one thing, but my passion is sewing.

Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? Love to give Katy Perry a piece, and Zooey Deschanel. They have great vintage inspired style.

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? I have identical twins

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? Ireland on my honeymoon.

Brenda will be sellng her humblebumbleb hats both at the Atomic Holiday Bazaar Saturday, 12/12 evening show and the Sunday, 12/13 show. The world is a more colorful place with a chick like this and that makes me happy!

No comments: