Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Ela Steel - Atomic Holiday Bazaar Interview

I'm having a memory block on how the fabulous Ela Steel landed in Atomic's lap; I think I may have found her through Etsy (I often do geolocator searches to find new talent) but she may have found Atomic. Oh hell, what does it matter, she's coming to Atomic on Sunday, 12/13, noon - 6 p.m., and I am really, really looking forward to eyeballing her creations. Ela's interview is below...I can't wait to meet you Ela!

Name of Business/Website Address? Ela Steel http://steel.etsy.com

What City/State do you reside in? Austin, TX

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? This will be my first time.


What do make and plan on bringing to Atomic? I create strange and offbeat paintings of corseted bug-women. I plan to bring jewelry featuring my weird artwork (as well as jewelry featuring my pretty photography.) Pendants, rings and earrings. I'll also have prints, postcards and possibly a couple of small originals.

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? Making stuff is my full time occupation and I love it!



Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? I love that you can get quality (insert-almost-anything you might be looking for here) handmade by an actual artisan who you can converse with. I love the personal touch.

What's your favorite color? Purple!

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? In my paintings, yes. I'm currently designing some tree ornaments that use recycled/found objects as well.

What inspires you? Bugs. Corsets.

What are your favorite bands? The Gathering, Anathema, Antimatter, VNV Nation, Infected Mushroom, Nine Inch Nails.

What is your favorite movie? Hmmm. Maybe Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? I went to school for Fine Arts, but the jewelry portion is self-taught.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things, hit a dry spot like writer's block? Yes, I go through painting dry-spells all the time. But I love that I can also do the jewelry which keeps me creating through those times.

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? I find most bugs totally awesome and love to look at/photograph them, but when it comes to spiders I become a total stereotypical girl. Shrieking. Flailing. Demanding other people in the room deal with it. You know.

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? I went on a pretty rad 2-month backpacking trip last year to southeast asia. Loved almost every second of it! The second that was not loved involved a hand-sized spider in a dressing stall with me at a park. At that point it's really past the point of shrieking and more to the choking on air phase. But yeah. Thailand rocked otherwise. ;)

No comments: