Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cemetery Prints - Atomic Interview


I was introduced to photographer Sid Graves of Cemetery Prints by two people who are helping me and appearing at Atomic this year (Brian Blur and Doll Face, Inc.). Sid and his strikingly moody Cemetery Prints are appearing at AHB's Saturday night and Sunday day shows.
As far back as I can remember I have been obsessed with cemeteries. In the 90s I dated a guy who had a studio that overlooked one of my favorite cemeteries in Youngstown. That cemetery is filled with beautiful crypts of the rich, literally little studio sized mansions that I wanted to live in. My friends and I would play night time hide-n-go seek, higher than kites, bruising ourselves silly as we crashed into old tombstones. Man it was fun. Around that time Danzig had his hit "Mother" and it gave me great giggles to stand over a ground tombstone that was inscribed with "MOTHER RIP" and sing his song. Maturity surrounds me. But seriously, there is nothing more lovely and peaceful than an old cemetery, trust me, birds of prey at dusk like to hunt in there, trees and statuary's are everywhere, pack yourself a picnic, bring some kind of mood enhancer and kick back as the sun goes down. Sid's Atomic interview begins here:

Name of Business/Website Address? CEMETERY PRINTS / http://www.cemeteryprints.com/

What City/State do you reside in? Everywhere.

Is this your first time attending Atomic or have you done the show before? 1ST TIME.



What do make and plan on bringing to Atomic? Framed or Matted Cemetery Photography from Maine to Florida and beyond…..

Is making stuff your full time occupation? Do you have a day job, are you a parent? How do you find the time to balance making stuff and taking time out for your life? It’s my full time occupation along with another full time occupation. I’m also a parent however mine just turned 18. Weekends and late nights balance out the 2 perfectly and it keeps me out of trouble!!!

Why are you passionate about "D-I-Y" and what does it mean to you? You have to have passion in order to succeed starting a business and running a business is 2 different things. Hard work and determination will always prevail.

What's your favorite color? Black

Do you recycle and incorporate found or used items in your creations? Hmmmm somewhat LOL.

What inspires you? People who know how to push boundaries, beyond what is typical. My own internal drive to succeed helps too.

What are your favorite bands? I like all genres of music.

What is your favorite movie? Devil’s Reject’s

Are you self taught, did a family member teach you or did you take classes? I’ve had photographic guidance since my teens and self taught in many photographic mediums. I’ve taken a few classes over the years however they teach basic principles or ideas that I already encompass in my work.

Do you ever get burnt out on creating things; hit a dry spot like writer's block? Ohhh Yes… I get photographer’s Block all the time!!!

Is there anyone famous who you think is too cool for school and you'd like to give them one of your pieces? I’ve had several that I’ve been able to give my cemetery photography to but I’d love to get something over to Rob Zombie I think he would appreciate my photography.

Any oddities about you that the reader may find amusing, an extra toe, can't stand anyone near your armpits, etc.? I get aggravated when people say “I wouldn’t do that to my worst enemy” Really??? Why Not??? It’s your worst enemy!!! If you’re my worst enemy, guess what?? You’re doomed….

Where have you traveled or visited that made you feel a bit happier about Planet Earth? Maine!!! Hands down the most peaceful place anywhere. I grew up in Maine and fall in love with it every time I go back to visit. The fresh air, good down to earth people and the weather is beautiful, except for winter lol.

Come check out this fabulous man at Atomic Holiday Bazaar and buy one of his Cemetery Prints!

No comments: